Friday, August 3, 2012

Homemade Corn Flakes

I love cereal. I used to eat cereal every day, sometimes twice a day. When I started to get away from prepared and processed foods, cereals were one of the first items to go. Since then, I thoroughly enjoy a bowl of granola in place of the preservative-riddled breakfast, but it just was not the same.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic when, in search of a simple corn chip recipe, I accidentally made homemade corn flakes. I am super excited to share this easy, delicious and preservative-free cereal option with you:

Homemade Corn Flakes
  • 1 c. cornmeal
  • 1 T. vegetable or olive oil
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 3/4 c. boiling water
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until completely moistened. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto heavily greased cookie sheet. Using your fingers, pat out the dough very thin. Bake at 400 degrees for about ten minutes or until golden, turning once. Allow to cool completely. (Note: they may not be crispy when removed from the oven. They will get crispier as they cool). Using your fingers, break into smaller pieces.

Serve with milk and top with sugar if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment